This photo shows flooding from Cooks River in Pemberton Street during November 1959.
Returned Services Balls in Strathfield Town Hall
During the Great Depression of the 1930s, prominent public and military figures gave their patronage to fundraising balls held in the Strathfield Town Hall.
Wartime Blackout, 1941
During WWII a Sydney-wide blackout drill also saw the Strathfield Town Hall ‘attacked’ and ‘demolished.’
Strathfield Town Hall’s Early Charity Balls
After its opening in October 1923, Strathfield Town Hall hosted many charity balls to raise funds for good causes.
Musician, Marcus Burkitt
Blind pianist, Marcus Burkitt performed in the Strathfield Town Hall during November 1936. His repertoire included 350 works, all learned by ear.
Sustainable strathfield blog draft
Ten Mile Hill
Ten Mile Hill was the name used for the hill on Liverpool Road near Centenary Drive and Roberts Road. The Tenth Milestone from Sydney was located nearby.
House Stuck on Bridge!
In September 1928 half a weatherboard house being transported by a team of horses became wedged on the Water Street Bridge requiring pedestrians to walk through the house to cross the bridge.
Corrard/Haeremai, 78-80 Broughton Road, Homebush
Corrard/Haeremai, built c.1888, once stood at 78-80 Broughton Road Homebush and was first owned by Canon Hulton Smyth-King.
Roadworks on Redmyre and Homebush Roads, 1959
This photo shows roadworks on the corner of Redmyre and Homebush Roads during December 1959. The house on the corner was named Wilfethel and is now Arcadia.