Council is continuing to monitor the evolving situation with COVID-19. Please see our dedicated webpage for up-to-date information on Council services and advice.
Fireworks Displays
Works Permits
Road Permit
Filming and Photography Permit
Footpath Display Permit
Outdoor Eating Permits
Fireworks Displays

To hold a fireworks display on Council controlled land it you must first obtain a permit from Workcover NSW. Following issue of a valid permit, Council will consider applications on the basis of size and type of fireworks to be used, time of the display, adjoining residents being advised by the applicant, no unreasonable nuisance to surrounding residents, consideration of any objections received by Council and that the fireworks are legally permitted for use in NSW.

Applicants will also require current public liability cover for the display.  No fireworks display can be carried out during a fire ban.

Workcover rarely issues permits for private backyard fireworks displays. To apply for a fireworks permit please contact Workcover NSW on 9370 5870.

For further information please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

Works Permits

A works permit is required for civil engineering works within a footway or road reserve.  Works permits are valid for three months from date of issue. To apply for a Works Permit, the applicant will be required to do the following:

  • Complete application form for Works Permit
  • Permit fee and refundable bond is applicable (refer to Council’s fees and charges) must be paid upon application. Fee must be paid before a works permit is issued.
  • Minimum of five days notice is required to process, approve and action an application.

NOTE: Works permits must be used in accordance with the Australian Road Rules and cannot be used for the storage of materials.

Fees and Charges

Fees and charges are in accordance with Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule.  This is reviewed and adopted at the commencement of the new financial year.

Costs relating to Works Permit are:

  • Application Fee
  • Urgency Fee (next business day processing)
  • Inspections (2) – Pre-pour and final inspections (non refundable including GST)
  • Additional site inspections.
  • Work Permit Bond. This is refundable in accordance with Works Permit Terms and Conditions.


A Works Permit must be obtained prior to commencement of any works. Please note an approved Traffic Control Plan complying with AS 1742.3 is to be submitted for any work involving partial closure of a road or diversion of pedestrians.

For further enquiries call Council on 9748 9999.

Road Permit

Standing Plant Permit

If a person wishes to stand plant (eg crane, cherry picker or concrete pump) on a Council road or footpath they must complete a Standing Plant application form and get prior approval from Council.  The permit must be in possession of the Plant Operator at all times and must be produced on request of NSW Police or Council’s officers.

To apply for a Standing Plant permit the applicant will be required to do the following:

  • Complete application form for Standing Plant Permit.  A traffic management control plan is also required indicating proposed signs, alternative pedestrian routes, traffic lane widths, etc.
  • Permit fee is applicable (refer to Council’s fees and charges) and must be paid upon application.
  • Minimum of seven days’ notice is required to process an application.

If on or within 50 metres of a State or Regional road, RMS approval must be obtained. Contact the RMS Traffic Management Centre, phone (02) 8396 1425.

Standing Plant Permit

Temporary or Partial Road Closure Application Form

To apply for a temporary or partial road closure, please complete this form and send to Council.

Works Zone Application

Before applying for a Works Zone, please read the following notes:

  1. Works Zones are provided to facilitate the efficient operation of construction projects and to minimise traffic disruption.
  2. Application must be submitted six weeks prior to commencement of works.
  3. Inadequate information may delay the process of the application. A plan indicating actual existing kerbside restrictions and proposed Works Zone length is required.
  4. If your Works Zone is related to a Development Consent and a Construction Traffic Management Plan is required as a condition of this Development Consent, please do not submit this application until your Construction Traffic Management Plan has been approved.
  5. Provision of a Works Zone is subject to the payment of Works Zone Fees and Charges as published in Council’s current Fees and Charges available at
  6. If Council Officers support the proposal, it will be subject to Local Traffic Management Committee approval that may refuse the application or give conditional approval.

Download the form here.

Completed forms are returned to Strathfield Council, PO Box 120, STRATHFIELD NSW  2135, fax: (02) 9764 1034 or in person: 65 Homebush Road Strathfield or email  Council can be contacted on (02) 9748 9999 or email: or website: ABN No: 52 719 940 264

Filming and Photography Permit

A Council-issued permit is required when filming or photographing in the Strathfield area. To apply for a permit, complete the Filming and Photography Application Form and return it to Council.  Guidelines for Filming in Strathfield provide information to assist you in completing your application.

Please note, applications are required to be lodged at least two (2) weeks prior to the intended filming date and fees and charges apply.

Use of local roads

If use of local roads are required for filming, a Temporary Road Closure permit is also required.

Please note, an application for a temporary road closure is required at least three months prior to the intended filming date to ensure all potentially affected parties are notified of the proposed road closure. For further information, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

Footpath Display Permit

Certain types of merchandise and display material may be displayed on Council footpaths where approval for such use has been obtained from Council.

This policy provides guidelines for the approved use of Council footpaths to display merchandise for shops and other commercial and industrial properties.

Prior to using Council’s footpath to display items, an ‘Application for Display Material on Council Footpaths’ must be lodged. This form is available here.

Outdoor Eating Permits

Strathfield Council promotes and encourages outdoor dining for the development of the urban environment within the Town Centres, while maintaining accessibility, safety and appearance of footpaths.

Outdoor dining contributes significantly to the livelihood of businesses whilst providing an active and social street frontage and encouraging economic growth of the local government area.

These guidelines cover the Strathfield local government area. It applies to all outdoor seating areas where food and beverages are served and a development application and/or licence is required.

Applications are made by completing Council’s ‘Application for Outdoor Dining Permit’ available here. In the event of an approval being granted, Council will issue a permit enabling an outdoor dining area to operate.