Becoming an Australian Citizen
To become an Australian Citizen you must first apply for Australian Citizenship through the Department of Home Affairs.
Once your application has been processed and you have attended an interview, the Department will notify you in writing whether or not your application has been approved. Around 90% of applications are decided within 6 months of lodgement.
A few months later, the Department will send you a letter of invitation to attend a Citizenship Ceremony at Strathfield Council.
Please note, Strathfield Council has no role in the processing or determination of citizenship applications or holding of citizenship tests. For enquiries, information on the status of your application, allocation to ceremony dates, or to download an application kit contact the Department of Home Affairs by telephoning the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 or visit the Department of Home Affairs.
Department of Home Affairs
Strathfield Council acknowledges the Hon Andrew Giles, MP, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs.
From 22 June 2022, the offices of the Department of Home Affairs will be relocated from the Sydney CBD to 101 George St, Parramatta. The Department’s mailing address will remain unchanged as GPO Box 9984 Sydney NSW 2001.
2023 Citizenship Ceremonies
- Thursday 26 January 2023 (Australia Day) – 10am
- Thursday 23 February 2023 – 3pm
- Monday 27 March 2023 (Harmony Week Celebration) – 4.30pm
- Thursday 27 April 2023 – 4:30pm
- Thursday 18 May 2023 – 3pm
- Thursday 22 June 2023 (Refugee Week, 18-24 June) – 9:30am, 12:30pm and 3:30pm
- Thursday 27 July 2023 – 3pm
- Thursday 24 August 2023 – 3pm
- Sunday 17 September 2023 (Australian Citizenship Day) – 10am
- Thursday 12 October 2023 – 3pm
- Thursday 23 November 2023 – 3pm