Inveresk Park is a very popular neighbourhood park designed as an integral feature of the surrounding residential area. The park provides recreation opportunities and enhancement of local amenity and streetscape. The objective of this park is provision of safe play areas especially for children under surveillance of adults. Inveresk Park contains one of the most significant indigenous remnant populations in the Strathfield area. The remaining natural vegetation has been reduced to individual mature trees including Grey Box (Eucalyptus moluccana), Wollybutt (Eucalyptus lognfolia), White Stringybark (Eucalyptus globoidea)¸Broad-leaved Ironbark (Eucalyptus fibrosa) and Turpentine (Syncarpia glomulifera). Together these trees represent the last vestiges of the once extensive Turpentine-Ironbark and Tall Forest in this area.
George Begg Vickery (1865-1938) of ‘Inveresk’ Coventry Road Strathfield was one of Australia’s wealthiest men, leaving an estate of £435 826 upon his death. George Vickery was the son of Ebenezer Vickery MLC (1827-1906), a prominent and wealthy businessman with interests in mining and farming. After his father’s death, George Vickery was the manager of the family businesses. After the death of George Vickery in 1938, his son Ottamar developed plans to subdivide the grounds of ‘Inveresk’ for residential development. The ‘Inveresk Estate’ created residential lots in the the eastern section of Merley Road, and donated a sizeable public recreation area to Council. In appreciation of this gift, Council offered Ottamar Vickery naming rights of the new park and suggested ‘Vickery Park’. Vickery, however, preferred ‘Inveresk Park’, the name of his father’s home in Strathfield. (Reference: Cathy Jones, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).