Freshwater Park is a neighbourhood park designed as an integral feature of the surrounding residential area, providing recreation opportunities and enhancement of local amenity and streetscape. The objective of this park is provision of safe play areas especially for children under surveillance of adults. Freshwater Park is located on the Bay to Bay Cycle and Walkway. Part of Freshwater Park forms a section of the Strathfield Golf Club.
The Cooks River runs through Freshwater Park. The land on which Freshwater Park is located was considered unsuitable for building by developers of the Strathlea Estate in the late 1920s due to frequent flooding from the Cooks River. The developers transferred part of this estate to Council ownership and over time, Council purchased additional land to add to the park. The park was formally dedicated in 1929 by Council and named in honour of William Freshwater, Strathfield Council’s head gardener from 1887 to 1929. In October 1931, the Strathfield Golf Club was formed with the intention of establishing a golf course in Freshwater Park. The Golf Club negotiated an agreement with Strathfield Council for the use of 37 acres of Freshwater Park on the understanding that ‘no respectable resident or ratepayer be refused admission to the Club’. The first Golf course of 9 holes was laid down by golf professional Will Cory. Following acquisition of additional land from NSW Government Railways in 1933, the course was extended to 18 holes in 1934. A substantial section of Freshwater Park was set aside for a publicly accessible park which included a children’s playground, a small cricket wicket, some playground apparatus and seats. (Reference: Jones, C, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).
- Dedicated Children’s Playground
- BBQ, shelters and seating
- Cricket wicket (concrete)
- Open space for informal recreational use
- Bicycle Racks
- Outdoor Fitness Equipment