Remember: Don't put plastic bags in your recycling yellow lid bin!
There is an increasing issue of plastic bags and soft plastics contaminating Strathfield's yellow lid bins.
You can recycle plastic bags and soft plastics at RedCycle drop-off points at local supermarkets. Do not put them in yellow recycling bins.
Plastic bags are not biodegradable and end up as waste in landfill and the ocean. They clog stormwater infrastructure, spoil the landscape and kill wildlife.
Did you know that 80% of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land?
Here's some handy tips to reduce your plastic consumption:
- Switch to reusable or cloth shopping bags
- Try using paper bags or compostable biodegradable bags
- Avoid buying items packaged in plastic
- Bring your own container for takeout and leftovers
- Stop using plastic cutlery. Avoid disposable tableware or use compostable options.
- Say no to plastic straws
- Choose cardboard over plastic when you can
- Use compostable/biodegradable bags when taking your dog/s for a walk.
Always remember: RETHINK - REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE