Strathfield Council is calling for Expressions of Interest for public art to be installed as part of a Parramatta Road Urban Amenity Improvement Plan project (PRUAIP).
The intention is to commission an artistically aesthetic wayfinding signage of scale and height, which acts as a landmark at both entry points on the bridge in Bridge Road. The artwork concept should aim to make Aboriginal heritage a feature by bringing to life the stories and narratives of the Strathfield area in a way that expresses its unique history. The artwork will be a significant addition to the public artworks in the Strathfield LGA and a cultural feature for the Homebush community and frequent users of the pedestrian and cycleway connection in Bridge Road.
The artwork should:
- Provide a visual focal point for residents, motorists, pedestrians and cyclists
- Visually communicate and honour the Aboriginal history of Strathfield
- Provide a unique sense of place in Homebush
Naturally, the artwork is to be designed specifically for its context and addressing the scale, context, and design language of the area. The artwork is to be contemporary in nature, innovative and create a unique aesthetic signature to the surrounding area.
The long-term success of the artwork rests on its ability to creatively interpret the identity of its place and people, and the integration of the artwork within its site.
The following design considerations and constraints are important in developing the artwork concept:
- Complement the visual language of the surrounding area
- Consider public safety, risk, and the public’s use of and access to the public space
- Consider low maintenance and high durability requirements
HOW TO APPLY
Review the EOI documentation below.
Submit an application through Smarty Grants before Monday 15 November 2021, 5:00pm.PRUAIP-EOI-Strathfield-Council-Wayfinding-Bridge-Rd