Fitzgerald Park is a highly popular neighbourhood park designed as an integral feature of the surrounding residential area, providing recreation opportunities and enhancement of local amenity and streetscape. The objective of this park is provision of safe play areas especially for children under surveillance of adults. This park features a dedicated children’s playground.
Fitzgerald Park is named in honour of James Fitzgerald who was Strathfield Council’s Overseer of Works [1888 – 1918]. Council minutes of 27 June 1920 record the dedication:
‘That a noticeboard be erected at the entrance as under. Viz. FITZGERALD PARK AND CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND’…Named in recognition of the sterling worth and kindly disposition of the Late James Fitzgerald, Works Overseer, of the Strathfield Municipality for 25 years’. (Reference: Cathy Jones, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).
- Children’s Playground
- Open space for informal recreational use
- Netball courts (grass)