Hampstead Road, Homebush West
- Children's Playground
- Children's Centre (Kurralee)
- War Memorials
About Melville Reserve
Melville Reserve is a popular park, linking to the large Airey Park and close to the Bay to Bay Cyclepath/Walkway. The park is a corridor of open space providing for pedestrian and cycle movement linking suburbs, shops, parks, schools and workplaces with peoples' homes. Melville Reserve also contains a dedicated children's playground.
Melville Reserve was opened in 1937 and named for solicitor Alexander Melville, an Alderman [1925-1940] and Mayor of Strathfield [1939-40]. Following Melville’s death in 1940, Council dedicated a water bubbler in Melville Reserve to his memory. The reserve contains many items of interest including WWI War Memorials. The iron gates on Hampstead Rd and the bridge were dedicated by the ‘people of Flemington’ to commemorate the Great War 1914-1918. These items are included on Council’s Heritage Register. (Reference: Cathy Jones, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).
Transport and Accessibility
Melville Reserve is on the Bay to Bay Cycle Way! Consider cycling and leave the car at home.
Bus and Train – Trip Planner provides information on public transport including timetables and routes.
Limited parking is available on Hampstead Road. A parking area is available on Fraser Street.