Coronation Parade, Strathfield South.
- Children’s Playground
- Open space for informal recreational use
- Coronation Arch
- Former Enfield Council Chambers
- Enfield War Memorial
About Coronation Reserve
Coronation Reserve is located on the boundary of Strathfield and Burwood Municipalities. This Reserve provides a large area of open space, which is designed as an integral feature of the surrounding residential area, providing recreation opportunities and enhancement of local amenity and streetscape.
Coronation Reserve contains a number of important heritage items including Coronation Arch, the Enfield War Memorial and the former Enfield Council Chambers.
The name Coronation Reserve is in reference to the coronation of King George VI in 1937. To commemorate this event, the former Enfield Council built the Coronation Arch, substantially renovated the Reserve and renamed the adjacent streets. These projects were devised as work relief schemes, creating jobs for local residents affected by the 1930s Great Depression. The archway and reserve were officially opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Lord Wakehurst, on 5th June, 1937.
Coronation Reserve lies on the border of the 1808 Wilshire land grant, later known as the Redmire Estate. By the 1850’s a track was established marking the current Coronation Parade, which is the border between Burwood and Strathfield Municipalities. The reserve is located between two parallel streets previously known as Punchbowl Rd and The Boulevarde [both streets were renamed Coronation Parade in 1937] and is bordered by Liverpool Rd and the Cooks River at the junction of Georges River Rd.
Coronation Parade was the site of the steam tramway built in 1902, which ran from Liverpool Rd to the depot terminus in Tangarra St. The tramway was located on the eastern side of the Reserve and the small brick hut near Dean St was built adjacent to the tram stop as a waiting room. The tramway was electrified in 1912 and a double track added in 1915. Competition from local buses forced the closure of the tram service in 1948. After the tracks were removed in 1951, Coronation Reserve was substantially altered in layout and the former tramway incorporated into the Reserve. (Reference: Jones, C, Parks, Reserves & Memorials of Strathfield, 2004).
Transport and Accessibility
Entry to the Bay to Bay Cyclepath/Walk located near Georges River Road at the southern end of the Reserve.
Bus and Train – Trip Planner provides information on public transport including timetables and routes.
Parking is available on Coronation Parade.