Council is continuing to monitor the evolving situation with COVID-19. Please see our dedicated webpage for up-to-date information on Council services and advice.

Neighbourhood noise, such as noise from animals, alarms, machines and parties can be very annoying. However, you can often stop noise that disturbs you without involving Council. Try to solve the problem by talking to whoever is causing the noise. Often people do not realise they are being noisy and are happy to work with you to solve the problem. If you cannot resolve a dispute amicably, contact the Community Justice Centre or your solicitor.

Council can serve notices covering noise from animals and from a wide range of appliances including air conditioners, swimming pool pumps, radios, sound reproduction equipment, musical instruments, power tools, lawn mowers and burglar alarms. The notice can require the noise-making activities to be restricted to certain times of the day or certain days. If the notice is not complied with, Council can prosecute.

If a person fails to comply with a warning from the Police or Council, an on-the-spot fine may be issued. Times when these appliances should not be used if they are audible inside a neighbour’s residence are listed below, with who to contact if you need help

Time Restrictions when Noise is Audible Inside a Neighbour’s Residence

Outside these hours, restrictions can be placed on using these articles if they cause offensive levels of noise.

Noise source on residential premisesTime restrictionsContact
Power tools and equipment (powered garden tools, eg lawn mowers and leaf blowers; electric tools; chainsaws or circular saws; gas or air compressors; swimming pool or spa pumps)8 pm–7 am on weekdays and Saturdays 8 pm–8 am on Sundays and public holidaysCouncil or Police
Musical instruments and sound equipment (radios, TVs, tape recorders, record or compact disc players, public address systems, computer games)12 midnight to 8 am everydayCouncil or Police
Air conditioners10 pm to 7 am on weekdays 10 pm to 8 am on weekends and public holidaysCouncil
Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residential premises)8 pm to 7 am on weekdays 8 pm to 8 am on weekends and public holidaysCouncil or Police
Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles8 pm to 7 am on weekdays 8 pm to 8 am on weekends and public holidaysCouncil or Police