February 16 – Road safety campaign launched
16 February 2011
Strathfield Council has launched a road safety campaign targeting parents of school aged children with an NRMA Safer Driving School Road Safety grant.
The campaign will target five key areas of road and pedestrian safety to educate and remind parents, particularly when dropping off their children at school to observe school zones, park legally, watch for pedestrians and not use mobile phones.
Strathfield Council will be providing resources to primary schools in the Strathfield Municipality for use as well as distributing reminders to parents at the school gates by way of magnets, air fresheners and bookmarks.
Mayor of Strathfield, Tony Maroun is urging all parents pay attention to the messages which could save the life of a child.
“Road and pedestrian safety is important for everyone. As a father, the safety of my children is extremely important to me. Road users must be aware of small children around school zones and pedestrian crossings and should always adhere to the speed limits and parking restrictions. There is no question following road rules saves lives – it could be your child’s,” Cr Maroun said.
NRMA Director Dawn Fraser said the NRMA was proud to support Strathfield Council’s road safety campaign that would help save lives in the local community.
“The start of the school year is a busy time and reminding parents and caretakers about the need to monitor speed limits in school zones and take care while dropping off or picking up children can only have good results,” Ms Fraser said.
Safety messages to remember:
- Children are small, hard to see, unpredictable and impulsive
- Double parking endangers lives – Always observe the parking signs around schools, they are designed to keep children safe.
- Park legally. Choose safety over convenience. Never park illegally in a No Stopping, No Parking, Bus Zone, or across a driveway, near a school crossing, or in a bus bay.
- Stop, Look, Listen and Think before crossing roads
- Slow Down! Children are Around – School Zones are 40 Zones
- Cars are a No Phone Zone – don’t talk or text while driving.