This section contains links to information on planning and development application processes, strategic planning and development, heritage and major projects in the Strathfield Local Government Area.

Links on the left hand side of this page provide information on: 

  • Exempt and Complying Development
  • The Strathfield Local Environmental Plan 2012
  • The Strathfield Consolidated Development Control Plan 2005
  • Development Applications and Planning Proposals on public exhibition
  • Local Planning Studies and Precinct Visions
  • Council’s Development Enquiry Service
  • Application Forms
  • Heritage Matters 

The procedures that the Council follows when considering a development application vary according to the type of proposal.

There are various development categories and these include:

Exempt Development

Exempt Development has minimal environmental impact and can be carried out under the NSW planning system, without the need to gain planning approval. Where full compliance is achieved with the relevant development standards provided within the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, you may be able to undertake development without Council consent.

Exempt development includes minor development around the home such as awnings, retaining walls, solar hot water systems and privacy screens. Exempt development also extends to some minor work to commercial and industrial properties.

It is important to recognise that if an exempt development type does not satisfy any of the applicable development standards it is no longer exempt development and development consent may be required. 

The Electronic Housing Code is a useful and free online system that helps to determine whether your proposal may be classified as ‘exempt’ or ‘complying’ development.

If you are unsure, please contact Council’s Duty Planner or click on the ‘Development Enquiry Service’ link on the left hand side of the page.

Council’s Duty Planner is available between 9am and midday, Monday to Friday, on 9748 9999.

Complying Development

Complying Development is a combined planning and construction approval for development that meets pre-determined development standards.

Determination of a complying development certificate (CDC) relies on a code-based assessment against the relevant development standards provided within the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

A CDC is able to be approved for development which meets pre-determined development standards and may include alterations and additions to a dwelling, the construction of a new dwelling and ancillary development such as swimming pools and garages.

A Secondary Dwelling (or Granny Flat) is also able to be approved by way of a CDC where full compliance is achieved with the development standards provided within Schedule 1 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009.

A CDC is able to be approved by Council or a Private Certifier and is generally determined within 10 days.

It is important to recognise that a CDC application must not exceed the development standards contained within the Codes SEPP. If an application exceeds the relevant development standards, a Development Application will be required to be lodged to Council for consideration.

The Electronic Housing Code is a useful and free online system that helps to determine whether your proposal may be classified as ‘exempt’ or ‘complying’ development.

Local Development

Local development refers to development that requires development consent, but which is not ‘State Significant Development'.

Council determines development applications for local development. Types of local development include: demolitions, dwellings, townhouses, units, commercial and industrial. In some circumstances, the Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP) may determine applications for local development.

State Significant Development

This type of development can be declared by the Minister for Planning or by a State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) or a Regional Environmental Plan (REP).

Development applications declared state significant development are determined by the Minister for Planning rather than Council. This category is intended for major proposals that are of planning significance to the State or the Region.

Integrated Development

Integrated development is development that requires certain approvals from other government agencies in addition to development consent from Council. A development application will be referred to the relevant agency for their review of the application.

It is the responsibility of the Applicant to alert Council to the approvals which may be required from external agencies.

Referrals to external agencies attract a referral fee of $320 (cheque made out to the agency) and administration fee of $140 to Council. These fees and an additional CD copy of all documentation are required upon lodgement of your development application to Council. 

Designated Development

Designated development includes types of development that have a very high potential for environmental impact and which have been specifically 'designated' by planning laws.

Special procedures apply to designated development, including:

  • An environmental impact statement (EIS) must be prepared.
  • A 30 day public exhibition period.
  • Third party objectors have a right of appeal.

Applications are rare in the Strathfield Municipal Council area. They are determined by Council, unless they are declared to be State Significant Development or they are required to be determined by the JRPP.

Construction Certificates

A Construction Certificate (CC) must be obtained from either Council or a Private Certifier should it be required as a condition of development consent.

Modifying Consents

Where development consent has been issued and a person seeks to amend or modify the approval, a Section 96 Application must be submitted to Council.

Plans and an accompanying Statement of Environmental Effects addressing the reasons for the modification must also be submitted.

Minor changes may be supported, however, should the amendment(s) be significant, a new development application must be submitted and the proposal will be reconsidered.


For further information click here or contact Council’s Planning and Development Department on 9748 9999 between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.