A misprint in the Inner West Courier on Tuesday 30 July 2019, incorrectly stated that rebates apply to Seniors Card holders. This is incorrect. Rebates apply to Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders. Council apologises for this error. Please contact Customer Service on 9748 9999 if you have any further queries.

Eligible pensioners may be granted a rate rebate of 50% of the rates and charges up to a maximum of $250 per annum. If you receive a pension you may be eligible for a rebate if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • You hold a current pension concession card
  • You own the dwelling for which a rebate is sought
  • You occupy the dwelling for which a rebate is sought as your sole or principal place of living.

The pensioner concession card will need to be issued by Centrelink, or you may hold a current pensioner concession card issued by the Department of Veteran's Affairs because:

  • You are a widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces, or
  • You are the unmarried mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces, or
  • You are a widowed mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those forces, or
  • You are a TPI under the Veterans Entitlement Act, 1986, or
  • You receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement under section 22 (4) of the Commonwealth Veterans' Entitlement Act 1986, or a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act.

If you satisfy all of these criteria you will need to visit Council’s Customer Service Centre, complete an application form and produce your pension concession card.

Pensioners who have already been granted a rebate with Council will have their rate notice automatically adjusted provided there has been no change with their eligibility.

If you start receiving a pension after the commencement of a quarterly billing period and you meet the above conditions, you can claim a rebate from the start of the next quarterly billing period.

If you cease to qualify as an eligible pensioner, you will not be entitled to receive a rebate after the end of the quarterly billing period in which you ceased to be eligible. Therefore, if you were granted a pensioner rebate in advance that you are no longer entitled to, it will be charged back to your rate account for the period pertaining to your ineligibility.

Please contact Council's Rates Section on 9748 9960 immediately if your eligibility changes.