Council rates are calculated according to the value of land in the area. The value of land in the Strathfield Local Government Area is determined every three years by the NSW Valuer General. Council sets a rate in the dollar in its annual Operational Plan, which is then multiplied by your land valuation.
The Valuer General provides Council with new land values for rating purposes, and also provides landowners with a Notice of Valuation informing them of the new land value. The NSW Valuer General’s Department can be contacted on 1800 110 038 or visit http://www.valuergeneral.nsw.gov.au/.
There are many factors that are taken into consideration when deciding on land value including recent sale prices, zoning and access to public facilities. This means that rates charged for properties in the Strathfield Local Government Area will be different to rates charged by other councils.
Fluctuations in land values do not necessarily lead to similar changes in rates. Rates depend on each council's rating structure and the limits to increases set by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART).
If you disagree with your land valuation, as contained in the Notice of Valuation sent to you, you can object to the Valuer General. Council has no direct involvement in determining valuations or handling objections. The NSW Valuer General’s Department can be contacted on 1800 110 038 or visit http://www.valuergeneral.nsw.gov.au/.
You must still pay the full amount of your rates while your objection is being considered. Should your land valuation be amended, the Valuer General will advise Council and your rates will be adjusted in due course.
Strathfield Council issues rate notices in July each year. Rates may be paid in full by the due date or paid by four instalments over the year, on or before the
instalment due date.
Instalment notices are issued if you choose to pay by instalments.
The due dates are:
- Payment in full or first quarter instalment 31 August
- Second quarter instalment 30 November
- Third quarter instalment 28 February
- Fourth quarter instalment 31 May
Rates for 2019-2020 are calculated as follows:
- Residential Ordinary Rate of 0.059549 cents in the dollar on the value of all rateable land that falls within the ‘Residential’ category of Strathfield Council and subject to a base rate of $415.00 in respect of each separate parcel of rateable land; and
- Business Ordinary Rate of 0.268363 cents in the dollar on the value of all rateable land that falls within the ‘Business’ category of Strathfield Council and subject to a base rate of $415.00 in respect of each separate parcel of rateable land.
Payment must be received by Council on or before the respective due dates otherwise interest charges will accrue. Rates overdue are known as "Rates in Arrears". Reminder notices are issued if instalments are not paid by the corresponding due date. Rates in Arrears will be subject to daily interest in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 1993 at the interest rate approved by the Minister for Local Government.
Unpaid arrears of rates will, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1993, be subject to action to recover any overdue amounts. A ratepayer may make at any stage, in writing, an arrangement to pay off overdue amounts by regular instalments/payments.
The interest percentage will be shown on the front of your Rate Notice. For the financial year 2019/2020 this percentage is set at 7.5% per annum. Rates in Arrears may also be subject to recovery proceedings by Council that may incur recovery costs.
More information on Rates and Charges is available by opening the Why Pay Rates pdf below.
How to Pay your Rates
Rate payments can be made via the following methods:
Please note: All credit card payments will incur a 0.7% processing fee.
- Online - Post BillPay (using VISA or MasterCard) or by phoning 1300 704 941 (using VISA or MasterCard)
- BPAY - through your participating financial institution from your cheque or savings account (Credit cards not accepted).
In person at any branch of Australia Post using cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card (VISA or MasterCard)
- Direct Debit - complete application form and return to Council.
- Commonwealth Bank branches (regardless of whether or not you are a customer.) Complete the details on the Bank Deposit Slip at the bottom of the rate notice. The bank will stamp Ratepayer's Copy and return it to you as a receipt. Cheques made payable to Strathfield Council and crossed NOT NEGOTIABLE can be sent with the original deposit slip to PO Box 120 Strathfield NSW 2135.
- At Council’s Customer Service Centre – cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card (VISA or MasterCard)
- At Strathfield Library – cheque, EFTPOS or credit card (VISA or MasterCard). Cash not accepted.
Change of Address
To change the mailing address on Council records send an email to email@example.com including the property address and new mailing address, or print and complete the below Change of Mailing Address form and return it to Strathfield Council, PO Box 120, Strathfield NSW 2135
Domestic Waste Management Charge
Council must levy each residential rated property a separate charge for domestic waste management services. The cost of these services cannot be financed from ordinary rates and the charge must be sufficient to recover the reasonable costs of providing the services.
Domestic waste management charges include garbage, clean-up and recycling services. Domestic waste management charges are exempt from Goods and Services Tax (GST). Domestic waste management charges can be found in the Fees and Charges section of Council's Community Strategic Plan.
Stormwater Management Service Charge
Strathfield Council is responsible for stormwater management within the local government area. Council provides and maintains infrastructure including kerbs, gutters and stormwater pipes.
Under the Local Government Act, a Stormwater Management Service Charge can be levied. Council has resolved to levy the following annual charges:
- $25.00 per residential property
- $12.50 per residential and business strata property
- For business, the charge is $25, plus an additional $25 for each 350 square metres or part of 350 square metres by which the area of the parcel of land exceeds 350 square metres up to a maximum charge of $200.00
For business strata lots, the charge is $5 or the relevant portion of the maximum annual charge that would apply to the strata scheme if it were a parcel of land subject to the land categorised as business.
The charge will be applied towards stormwater management services including:
- Mainstream flood mitigation works
- Local drainage and overland flow path upgrades
- Urban drainage renewal
- Water quality infrastructure
- Stormwater maintenance
- Enhanced pipe drainage maintenance
Ratepayers eligible for a rebate on their rates will also receive a stormwater management service charge rebate. There is no need to apply for this rebate separately.