What is a Development Application?

A Development Application commonly referred to as a DA is a formal request for permission to carry out proposed development such as the use of land, subdivision of land, the erection of a building, the carrying out of work or the demolition of a building. You must lodge a DA and have it approved by Council before you begin.

Generally, a DA consists of an application form and plans and drawings of the proposed development.

Please visit the Development section of this website before submitting a development application.

DAs are required so that Council may assess your plans and information, inspect your property and determine whether your proposal is appropriate.

Do I need to lodge a Development Application for approval?

Development approval is required to carry out most types of developments or building works. Some exemptions apply; however it is advisable you refer to the Development Application Process.

DAs are required so that Council may assess your plans and information, inspect your property and determine whether your proposal is appropriate.

Application forms can be lodged on the eDA (online DA) section of this website or at Council’s Customer Service Centre.

What is exempt and complying development?

Exempt development is development that has minimal environmental impact and does not require any planning or construction approval subject to satisfying pre-specified standards.  Exempt development typically covers minor 'do it yourself' work such as erecting a small pre-fabricated structure like a garden shed or cubby house, or constructing a timber picket front fence.  Follow this link for more detail on what constitutes exempt development.  

Complying development is quick and simple approval alternative to the DA process for development that have a greater impact than Exempt Development.  These are developments which are still considered to have minor environmental impact on neighbourhood amenity and which can be addressed by predetermined development requirements. Types of Complying Development include internal alterations to a house, a new single dwelling and an inground swimming pool.  

Exempt and Complying Development is identified in the Codes SEPP and includes predetermined standards outlining the size, type and location of the building work for it to be exempt from any planning or construction approval.

Our accredited Building Surveyor can assess your Complying Development Application and can assist you through the process from approval to finalisation of construction. Please feel free to contact Council on (02) 9748 9999 for further information.

Is it necessary to discuss an application with a Council officer?

For all major residential, industrial, commercial, and subdivision applications, you are encouraged to meet with Council’s Pre-Lodgement Panel. The Pre-Lodgement Service is available to residents wishing to build a new house or undertake major alterations and additions to their existing house.

The Pre-Lodgement meetings help identify key issues and ensure that applicants are on the 'right track'.  They are not intended to investigate every detail which is covered through the formal development assessment process. 

The Pre-Lodgement Service provides prospective applicants with detailed and constructive advice from a friendly, multi-disciplinary team of Council officers and helps identify any potential problems before the lodging of the DA. 

A nominal fee is applicable for this service. If you need to meet with the Pre-Lodgement Panel, they are available between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Do I need an appointment to discuss my development application with the Pre-Lodgement Panel?

Yes, it is necessary to make an appointment. To make an appointment please contact Council’s Development Assessment Team on 9748 9981.

Following receipt of your request a council officer will phone you to arrange the meeting. If you have supplied inadequate information with your request, the officer will advise what further information is required before a meeting can be arranged. Once a meeting time has been arranged, the officer will call you, confirming the meeting date, time and place. Generally, the meeting will be held within 10 days of all necessary information being received by Council.

What types of developments most benefit from pre-lodgement meetings?

  • Proposals for Integrated Development or Designated Development
  • Applications that involve complex issues requiring strategic or policy direction.
  • Significant projects such as city centre proposals, major commercial or industrial developments, residential flat buildings, large scale residential projects and child care centres.
  • Applications that propose variations/non-compliances to Council’s planning controls and development standards.
  • Applications requiring specialist technical advice, for example engineering, traffic or urban design advice.
  • Developments where community interest is likely to be strong.

What information is needed to accompany an application to Council?

All applications signed by the owner(s) of the site, are to be accompanied by the required plans and drawings of the proposed development and the appropriate fee.

How much will it cost me to submit a development application?

Fees vary according to the type of development. The required fees are set out in Council's Fees and Charges. Council’s Customer Service staff can assist you in assessing the appropriate fee.

Will my neighbours be advised of the application?

Adjoining property owners are notified of the proposal under Part L of the Consolidated Development Control Plan (CDCP) as required under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

Are residential floor plans made available to the public?

No. Public viewing of plans for any residential parts of a proposed building other than plans that show its height and external configuration is restricted under schedule 1(3)[2](a) of the Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2009.

How will my application be determined?

Once lodged with Council, your application is assessed and then determined by one of the following decision making processes:

  • Under delegated authority (most applications are determined this way)
  • Development Applicationss that are not determined under delegated authority are considered by Council’s Liveable Neighbourhoods (formally Planning) Committee. These can include applications that do not comply with relevant planning regulations/policies, and/or where objections have been submitted.

How long does it take for my DA to be considered?

This depends on the type of development application and if other government agencies are involved. You can track your DA’s progress using eDA or Council’s Customer Service staff can provide you with an update of your DA upon request.

Under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 Council has 40 days to assess an application.

You will be advised in writing of the determination of your application. If your application is approved, then you will be sent a copy of the development consent including conditions of consent and approved plans.

Should your application be refused, a refusal notice will be sent advising of the grounds of refusal.

After my application is determined, how will I be advised?

You will be advised in writing of the determination of your application. If your application is approved, then you will be sent a copy of the development consent including conditions of consent and approved plans.

Should your application be refused, a refusal notice will be sent advising of the grounds of refusal.

How do I appeal against my notice of determination?

If you disagree with the determination of your development application, contact
Council immediately so any issues can be clarified and your options discussed.

Options available to you include:

  • A review of determination of your application
  • An application to modify a development consent
  • An appeal to the Land and Environment Court

What information will be available about my development application?

Council had adopted a policy to make available as much information about development proposals as possible during the notification period except where limited by legislation. For example, in accordance with Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2009 detail in residential parts of floor plans will not be exhibited.

Once the notification period had ended can the public access details of my DA on Council’s website?

Yes. If your DA is to be determined by Council’s Liveable Neighbourhoods Committee it will be included in a report to the Liveable Neighbourhoods Committee. Council and Committee Meeting agendas, reports and minutes are provided on Council’s website for a period of at least twelve months.

Some basic information about development applications determined is also available in the Development section of this website.

Will my letter of objection in relation to a development proposal be available for viewing?

Yes. All submissions will be available for viewing on request to anyone and may be referred to in a report to Council. Council and Committee Meeting agendas, reports and minutes are provided on Council’s website for a period of at least twelve months.

Can I still lodge my development application at Council’s Customer Service Centre?

Yes, as long as all requirements are met.

What is a Local Environmental Plan (LEP)?

The purpose of a Local Environmental Plan (LEP) is to define what purpose land may be used for. The LEP is the primary planning instrument for a local government area.  The Strathfield Local Environment Plan 2012 was gazetted in early 2013 and is in force. 

What is a Development Control Plan (DCP)?

Council has prepared a number of development control plans (DCPs) that set out in detail policies and codes relating to the development of land in the Strathfield Municipality.

Some development control plans relate specifically to individual sites. Others address requirements for development in particular zones eg residential, commercial or industrial. Council’s DCPs are available from the Development section of this website.

Council is required to review all development control plans and update these to comply with state regulations.

What is eDA?

The electronic development application tool known as eDA, is a fully secure online development application lodgement and tracking service. eDA allows the tracking of DAs from initial application lodging through to assessment.

Anyone with an internet connection can submit and then access their eDA at any time and can also complete supporting documentation required for complying development and construction certificates.

Customers can also log in from anywhere at any time to see how their application is progressing. At key milestone points, customers also receive email messages informing them of their application’s progress.

Access to the tracking service is via http://eda.strathfield.nsw.gov.au/.

What is a BASIX Certificate?

Introduced by the NSW Government, BASIX, the Building Sustainability Index, ensures homes are designed to use less water and be responsible for fewer greenhouse gas emissions by setting energy and water reduction targets for houses and units.

If you are making alterations or additions to your home, you must include a BASIX Certificate with your Development Application. You can obtain a BASIX Certificate online, by following the guide at the BASIX website.

It is compulsory to submit a BASIX Certificate when lodging a development application to construct a new dwelling, dual occupancy (whether attached or detached), new villas, town houses and residential flat buildings.

If you do not include your Certificate when you lodge your application, Council cannot accept or start to assess your proposal. For further information on BASIX please visit www.basix.nsw.gov.au, contact the BASIX helpline on 1300 650 908 or contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

Do I have to make developer contributions?

Council has adopted a "Section 94” development contributions plans that outlines the circumstances when developers are required to make monetary contributions or provide community facilities. The contributions are directed towards the provision or upgrading of public infrastructure that is required as a result of the additional demands created by the development. In some cases Council will require the developer provide facilities eg car parking spaces.

What hours can building work take place?

All building and demolition work is to be carried out only between the hours of 7am and 5pm Monday to Saturday inclusive during Eastern Standard Time, and 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday inclusive during daylight saving time. No work is to be carried out on Sundays and public holidays.

What can I do with my block of land? 

This varies widely depending on how planning regulations affect your particular block with regards to location, zoning etc. Contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

How do I find out the zoning for my property?

Information about the zoning of properties is available at Council’s Customer Service Centre. There is a Planning Officer on duty between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday to assist you if needed. The zoning information is intended as a guide only and confirmation can be obtained by applying for a section 149 certificate.

Can I get property ownership information over the phone?

Under the Privacy and Personal Information and Protection Act 1998, Council may only provide ownership information to parties who have established their identity and have demonstrated a legitimate need for such information. It is not possible to establish identity over the phone.

Do we have any heritage items in the municipality?

The Strathfield Municipality has many items and places that have heritage significance to the community.

These items and areas are listed in a schedule to the Strathfield Local Environmental Plan 2012. Development consent is generally required to carry out work on any of these items. For further information please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

Does my neighbour have to contribute to the cost of a dividing fence?

The Dividing Fences Act 1991 (NSW) addresses how the cost of a dividing fence is shared between adjoining land owners, where an owner wants to erect a dividing fence or wants work done on an existing dividing fence. It sets out the minimum requirements, owners may agree to arrangements exceeding these requirements.

For more information refer to the NSW Land & Property Information website.

Who can assist with a neighbourhood dispute in relation to a fence?

Council has no authority over neighbourly disputes and this is a matter between residents. The Local Court provides direction on dealing with fencing problems or going to Court. If you cannot resolve a dispute amicably, contact the Community Justice Centre or your solicitor.

For more information refer to the Dividing Fences Laws Fact Sheet or visit the NSW Land & Property Information website.

Can I display signs and goods on the footpath?

Council permits local businesses to use sections of the footpath to display signs and goods given the necessary approval is obtained.

What is Council’s policy on outdoor dining?

Council permits local businesses to use sections of the footpath for outside dining given the necessary approval is obtained.

Who is responsible for house numbers?

Property owners are requested to display their property number prominently to enable easy identification by utility and emergency services.