Where is Council located?

Council's Customer Service Centre is located at 65 Homebush Road Strathfield, which is located near the corner of Homebush and Redmyre Roads. Customer parking is available on Redmyre Road.  Access to the Council Chambers for Council Meetings is via the Homebush Road entrance.

What are Council’s normal hours of business?

Strathfield Council's business hours are between 8.30am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.

What is the role of Council?

Strathfield Council is a local statutory authority with powers and responsibilities granted to it from State and Federal Government. Local councils act primarily under the powers of the Local Government Act 1993. Council is responsible to ratepayers followed by a number of regulatory areas of government. Council is financed through rates, charges, fees, grants, borrowings and investments. As well as core services such as waste collection and local roads, Council also provides community services, sporting facilities, libraries, environmental conservation, urban planning, community events and much more.

How does Council operate?

Council consists of seven (7) councillors who are elected every four years. The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected annually by the Councillors. Councillors are elected at a general election which is held in September every four years.  The last Council election was held in September 2017.  The date of the next Council election will be in September 2020.

Councillors provide policy and strategic direction for the organisation. Council's CEO manages day to day operations. Responsible to the CEO are the Executive Team, who control the functional areas of Corporate Services and Technical Services. Residents are encouraged to inspect Council's Annual Report.

Who are my Councillors?

Strathfield Council has seven councillors. Contact information for Councillors is available on the Councillors section of this website.

Which ward do I reside in?

The Strathfield Local Government Area has no wards. All eligible voters in the Strathfield LGA elected all councillors.

How is the Mayor chosen?

The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected annually by the Councillors at a special Council meeting held each September.

Do councillors get paid?

The Local Government Act provides for the payment of fees, expenses and facilities to mayors and councilors.  Please visit the Councillors section of this website for Council’s policy on the payment of expenses and provision of facilities to councillors.

Can I speak to the Mayor/CEO?

Council’s Customer Service Centre will take your enquiry and will direct it to the appropriate Council officer for action. Telephone Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999 or visit 65 Homebush Road Strathfield between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday.  You can also address your enquiry to the CEO who will direct it to the appropriate Council officer for action. The postal address is Strathfield Council, PO Box 120, Strathfield, NSW, 2135.

How can I lodge a complaint or feedback with Council?

Council has a formal customer service request system in place to ensure that legitimate requests are acted upon within a predetermined period. Telephone Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999 or visit 65 Homebush Road Strathfield between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.  Feedback, suggestions and or complaints can be lodged by emailing council@strathfield.nsw.gov.au.

Where can I make Council payments?

Council’s Customer Service advisers handle all payments. Visit the Customer Service Centre at 65 Homebush Road, Strathfield. You can also pay rates (no other payments accepted) at the Customer Service desk at the Strathfield Library and Information Centre.

Are EFTPOS, Bpay and credit card payment facilities offered by Council?

At Council’s Customer Service Centre and the Strathfield Library and Information Centre EFTPOS and credit card (Visa and MasterCard) are accepted. Rate payments only are accepted at the Strathfield Library and Information Centre. For the complete range of rate payment options, please see the reverse of your rate notice, or the Rates section of this website.

How do I change my name or address for Council records?

To change or check your details please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999.

Where and when are Council and Committee Meetings held?

Council Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month at 6.30pm in the Council Chambers, 65 Homebush Road, Strathfield. Council Meetings are open to the public, except for discussion of legal, staff or other confidential matters. Meetings are chaired by the Mayor.

Development applications and other planning matters are discussed at the Strathfield Local Planning Panel (SLPP) held on the first Thursday of the month at 10am in the Town Hall (Supper Room), 65 Homebush Road, Strathfield. 

Can I attend Council Meetings?

Everyone is invited to attend regular Council Meetings. Members of the public may attend Council Meetings and may speak on matters included in the agenda of the meeting.

What do I need to do to speak at a Council or Committee Meetings?

Before each Council or Committee, Council conducts an Open Forum prior to the commencement of Council or Committee Meetings. A person or persons may address Council on matters not on the agenda of the meeting. Speakers are not obliged to make prior arrangements to speak at Open Forum, but lodge a request prior to the meeting by completing the Request to Address Council Meeting form . Speakers are limited to five minutes and must provide their name and address.

To speak at a meeting please complete the Request to Address Council Meeting form. Requests to address a meeting must be submitted in writing prior to  3.00pm on the day of the meeting to the General Manager. Speakers are limited to five minutes and must provide their name and address to the meeting. Speakers are not permitted to ask questions of Councillors or staff.

How can I view what matters will be discussed at Council and Committee Meetings?

Before each Council or Committee meeting, a Business Paper is prepared detailing the items that are to be presented to the meeting. Business papers include an agenda (list of items to be considered at the meeting), reports (details of items to be considered by Council) and minutes (details of decisions made at previous Council and Committee meetings).

Council and Committee business papers are made available on the website on the Saturday prior to meetings.

What documents are available to the public?

Members of the public have the right to access many documents held by Council. These documents include Council's Annual Report, Code of Conduct, Code of Meeting Practice, policies and financial reports.  Many Council documents are published on this website.  

Members of the public can inspect Council documents at the office of the Council during ordinary office hours or at any other place as determined by the Council such as Council's libraries.

If you would like to view a document, which is not provided electronically, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 9748 9999 to arrange access.

Many documents are available for copying, subject to copyright and privacy provisions.  Photocopy charges may apply for copies of documents.

Who are my local members?

The following federal electorates are located within the Strathfield Local Government Area.  

The following State electorates are located within the Strathfield Local Government Area.  Contact information is available from NSW Parliament

  • Electoral Division of Strathfield (State) represented by Jodi McKay MP
  • Electoral Division of Auburn (State) represented by Lynda Voltz MP
  • Electoral Division of Bankstown (State) represented by Tanya Mihaluk MP

What's on in Strathfield?

Strathfield Council organises several major festivals over the course of the year. The very popular Strathfield Spring Festival is held in September every year. There are also many other smaller local events during the year. See the Calendar of Events for more details.

Where can I find a Justice of the Peace?

A Justice of the Peace (JP) is available at Strathfield Library, 65-67 Rochester Street, Homebush on the following days/times:

  • Wednesdays, 10am to 11am
  • Second Thursday of each month, 5.30pm to 6.30pm
  • Fourth Tuesday of each month, 5.30pm to 6.30pm

Further information and searchable databases of names and contacts of Justices of the Peace (JP) in the local area are available on the Justice of Peace website

Does Council conduct citizenship ceremonies?

Yes, the dates for the citizenship ceremonies at Strathfield Council can be found in the Citizenship section of the website. Initial enquiries for citizenship should be directed to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship by telephoning the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 or visit the Australian Citizenship website.

Where are the local courts?

The nearest Local Court is located at 7-9 Belmore Street, Burwood and can be contacted on 1300 679 272. For further information visit www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au.

Where is the nearest Community Justice Centre?

The nearest Community Justice Centre is located at Bankstown Court, 363 Chapel Road North Bankstown and can be contacted on 9722 6044 or 1800 671 964 TTY. For further information visit www.cjc.nsw.gov.au.

What is Council's ABN?

Strathfield Council’s Australian Business Number (ABN) is 52 719 940 263.

I am a supplier to Council. Should I supply goods or services without a purchase order?

No. Council raises written purchase orders when goods or services are required. Do not supply goods or services unless you are in receipt of a written purchase order from Council.

I have a purchase order from Council, but the price is incorrect. What should I do?

Telephone the phone number shown on the purchase order and ask for the nominated person that is listed as the contact officer.

How do I get a job with Council?

Council advertises positions vacant in the Employment section of this website.  Council will only accept applications following advertisement of a particular position.

Does Council maintain cemeteries within the local government area?

Strathfield Council does not maintain cemeteries.  The largest cemetery near Strathfield is Rookwood Cemetery.  This is located within the Cumberland Council Local Government Area (former Auburn Council) but managed under Trust arrangements. For further information contact the Joint Committee of Necropolis Trustees on 9746 8433.