What can I do about neighbourhood noise?

Try to solve the problem by talking to whoever is causing the noise. Often people do not realise they are being noisy and are happy to work with you to solve the problem. If you cannot resolve a dispute amicably, contact the Community Justice Centre or your solicitor.

Council can serve notices covering noise from animals and from a wide range of appliances including air conditioners, swimming pool pumps, radios, sound reproduction equipment, musical instruments, power tools, lawn mowers and burglar alarms. The notice can require the noise-making activities to be restricted to certain times of the day or certain days. If the notice is not complied with, Council can prosecute.

How do I report backyard burning?

To report backyard burning please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre immediately on 9748 9999 and give an exact address.

How do I go about installing a rainwater tank?

You should first check if you need Council approval. If the tank and its installation complies with State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) 4 you do not need approval.

If the tank and installation doesn’t meet these exemptions eg heritage item or located in heritage conservation areas you will need approval.

For further information refer to the Sustainability section of this website.

What approvals do I need from Council to start a food business?

Persons interested in upgrading their food premises, or opening a new food outlet, should contact Council prior to commencing such works. You may require development consent from Council depending upon the nature and extent of the work proposed.

The Food Act 2003 and the Food Regulation 2010 hold the occupier (not the owner) responsible for both cleanliness and construction matters within the premises.

You should make appropriate arrangements with a private company for the regular removal of waste from the premises.

All operators of food businesses should take appropriate steps to inform themselves of the requirements of the Food Act 2003 and the Food Regulation 2010.

For further information visit the Food Safety section of this website.

Who is responsible for monitoring food premises?

Council and the NSW Food Authority are responsible for the surveillance of food premises.
For further information visit the Food Safety section of this website.

When will Council inspect my food premises?

Council conducts random unannounced inspections of food premises annually.

For further information food premise inspections visit the Food Safety section of this website.

Does Council have a policy for dealing with contaminated land issues?

Council has a Contaminated Land Management Policy that identifies potentially contaminated land and outlines the processes for remediation. Council is required to carefully assess any proposal that involves a change of land use to ensure that there is no risk to human health or the environment.

How do I lodge a complaint about an infringement notice ("on the spot" fine)?

You can make a complaint regarding an infringement by contacting the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) on 1300 138 118 or write to PO Box 4444, Parramatta NSW 2124.