I was thinking of holding a temporary food stall at a Council event, what do I need to do?

Stallholders are required to fill out an application form with Council to carry out a temporary food activity. All temporary retail food businesses operating at events or premises within the Strathfield Council area are to complete and submit Council’s application form to register a temporary food stall.

Once a completed application is received, it will be forwarded to an authorised officer for assessment. If it is approved notification of approval will be sent to the registered address of the business or by email supplied.

For Food Stall Operators there is a Registration / Application Fee of $70 per event.

Applications may be forwarded to Strathfield Council, PO Box 120, Strathfield NSW 2135 or in person to Customer Service Centre at 65 Homebush Road Strathfield between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

The Event Organiser

All event organisers must submit to Strathfield Council a map of the site indicating location of stalls and names of the temporary food stalls.

The temporary food business must comply with the Food Standards Code called up by the Food Act 2003 and the Food Regulation 2010 at all times when operating and trading.

Food Safety Supervisors

From 1 October 2011 certain businesses including temporary food stalls selling unpackaged, ready to eat potentially hazardous food will need to appoint a food safety supervisor.

For more information please visit www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au

A guideline for temporary food stall handling has been developed by the NSW Food Authority.

I wanted to find out about what I needed to run a home food business?

A home food business can include activities such as preparing food for sale at markets or school canteens in a domestic kitchen; bed and breakfast accommodation; home based child care for a fee involving provision of food and home based catering businesses, and other uses.

Such operations must be ‘notified’ to the NSW Food Authority before they start operating.

In addition the food business must notify Council of its intended operations for an assessment to be made. The Planning and Environment section will need to consider the impact the home business may have on traffic in the area, noise considerations, food safety, parking, and general amenity of the area.

Any enquiry that you do submit to Council, should be accompanied by the size of intended operations, to whom you may be distributing or selling the food, the times of day you would be carrying out activities.

Home Food Businesses must also comply with the Food Standards Code.

The food preparation area and food storage areas must be compliant with Food Safety Standard 3.2.3, in that it must be easy to clean constructed and designed to meet this standard. 

There may be a requirement for the person carrying out the food handling to hold the Food Safety Supervisor qualification.

Some home food businesses depending on their operations, will be licensed and inspected by the NSW Food Authority. However other operations will have annual inspections carried out by Council’s Environmental Health Officers.

I wanted to have a stall at Sydney Markets?

You should visit the Sydney Markets website to find out about the requirements which Sydney Markets have in relation to operating a food stall or contact Sydney Markets.

You may be subject to inspections by Council and/or the markets internal auditing system.


Council charges inspection fees as set out in Council's Fees and Charges Schedule.

I want to buy an existing business, what are my responsibilities?

All premises operate under an existing development consent and are subject to compliance with all conditions of that consent.

You may check with Council for details of the conditions of the existing consent to see if it will affect the operation of your proposed business. You may decide that it will be necessary to either apply to modify the consent or lodge a new Development Application.

It is also recommended that any intending purchaser of a food business should check if there are any outstanding matters before signing a lease by lodging an Outstanding Notices Application. Fees apply.

Any work required to be carried out on the premises, if not completed by settlement date, will become the responsibility of the new proprietor.