Location

High Street, Strathfield (between Noble and Macarthur Streets)

Facilities

  • Children’s Playground
  • BBQ facilities
  • Bicycle Racks
  • High Street Community Library

About Edwards Park

Edwards Park is a popular neighbourhood park.  This park was dedicated is a central feature of one of Sydney’s significant post-war NSW Government housing developments in the late 1940's.  The park, with its buildings for community use, mature landscape, children’s playground and BBQ facility, plays an important role as a neighbourhood park. The objective of the park’s initial design was provision of a children’s playground.  The addition of the Branch Library in 1956 consolidated Edwards Park as an important community facility.  In the 1990s, a more formalised garden plan was implemented and facilities such as BBQ’s were added. Edwards Park is part of the Adopt a Park program. The park was adopted by the Rotary Club of Strathfield, who work in collaboration with Strathfield Council to enhance and beautify the park.

History

Edwards Park is a central feature of the NSW Government’s Housing Commission Project in Strathfield South.  This project, which commenced in the late 1940s and continued into the early 1950s, was designed to alleviate critical housing shortages in post-war Sydney.  The project involved the dedication of a public recreation space in the centre of the new housing development.  The housing project was located in the western ends of High and Mintaro Streets and created the new streets of Amaroo, Macarthur and Noble Streets.  The park was dedicated to Strathfield Council in 1955 by the Housing Commission of NSW.    The reserve was named for William Edwards, long serving Alderman and former Deputy Mayor in March 1955.  The dedication states:

'That this land, which was recently dedicated to the public by the Housing Commission of NSW, be named Edwards Park in honour, and to the memory, of the late William Edwards, a former member of this Council and Deputy Mayor' 

The Strathfield South Branch Library was erected in 1956 in the northern end of Edwards Park [facing High St] and was dedicated to the memory of local resident, Sydney Black.  Edwards Park is included on Strathfield Council’s draft Heritage Register as an item of historic and cultural significance. (Reference:  Jones, C. Parks, Reserves & Memorials, 2004)

Transport and Accessibility

Bus and Train – Trip Planner provides information on public transport including timetables and routes.  Homebush Road is the nearest cross street. 

Parking is available including a dedicated disabled parking space.  

Bike racks available.