A Development Application (DAs) needs to be lodged with the Council for many different types of building work and other development, including some commercial and industrial uses. If you need development consent for your proposal, you are not allowed to start work until you get that consent.

What is a Development Application?

Where your proposal cannot be treated as exempt or complying development, you normally need to lodge a development application with Council. Development that needs consent cannot legally be started unless the council grants development consent first.

A Development Application (DA) is a formal request for permission to carry out proposed development. ‘Development’ is legally defined as:

  • the erection, including alteration in whole or part, of a building;
  • work in, on, over, or under land;
  • the use of land or of a building;
  • the subdivision of land; or
  • the strata subdivision of a building.

Generally, a DA consists of an application form, a Statement of Environmental Effects, plans and drawings of the proposed development.